Do you consider yourself to be a technology savvy person? Do you enjoy being involved in many projects where your knowledge is required? If this sounds like you, then the position of IBM SYstem i Software Developer with HOM Furniture is for you!!
HOM Furniture ranks as one of the top 50 furniture companies nationwide and has 17 locations throughout the midwest! The position of IBM System i Software Developer's main goal is to support our transactional application infrastructure in the areas of sales, service, inventory, accounting and financial systems along with interfaces providing system integration to internal and external systems. Will be responsible for supporting existing applications, enhancing system functionality and scalability. In addition this person will have the opportunity to work with IBM's latest development toolsets involving web-enablement and web-services. This person will work closely with users and department heads and will be involved in all phases of a project including: planning, reviewing specifications, documentation, scheduling, development, testing and support.
- 5-7 yrs experience in RPG400 and CL Experienced with ILE and embedded SQL
- Proficient with sub-file processing and embedded SQL
- Strong database design DDS experience (display, physical & logical files)
- Knowledge of Journals and Journalled files environment
- Excellent Communication Skills Mandatory
- Experience with Rational Developer for i
- Experience and familiarity with RPG Free
- Familiarity with Built In Functions, Qualified Data Structures, Prototyped calls, and Sub Procedures.
- Demonstrates proficiency using programming languages identified by the management of HOM Furniture, in order to develop efficient, well-structured programs and procedures to accomplish tasks assigned to them.
- Demonstrates an ability to explore, interpret, and summarize user requirements to develop well written, concise programming specifications, procedures, and functions designed to implement requested changes and/or new development.
- Demonstrates an ability to analyze existing processes, and provide effective and efficient solutions to problems.
- Performs related work, as required, in a timely manner. Demonstrates an in-depth understanding of relational databases.
- Implements database changes in a manner that ensures the consistency of database files and fields.
- Demonstrates a strong ability to troubleshoot the work of other programmers.
- Reports programming problems as they are discovered.
- Follows all programming standards identified by the management of HOM Furniture.
- Maintains a clean and concise personal library on the development platform, and only keeps copies of code in their personal library that they are currently developing or modifying.
- Adheres to all change management procedures identified by the management of HOM Furniture.
- Conducts unit testing of all programs they write and/or modify in order to minimize the number of times programs are returned to the programmer for rewrites.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written skills to clearly and concisely communicate with HOM Furniture departmental members.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Adheres to safe lifting techniques, follows proper training for learned job hazards and ergonomic risk factors, participates in departmental stretching program, and overall maintains a safe working environment.
- Performs other duties as required.
College/University B.S. Degree/Program certificate and 2 years minimum experience and/or Five to Seven years related experience and/or training preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
This person must have the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for sustained periods of time, move about on foot to accomplish tasks, use spoken word to communicate, and perceive the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
The employee is occasionally required to sit or remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time; use hands to handle or feel objects with either the entire hand or fingers, including typing. Reach with hands and arms in any direction, ascend and descend ladders and stairs using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Stooping by bending downward and forward by bending at the waist, kneeling or bending at the knees to come to a rest on knee or knees, crouching by bending the body downward and forward, or crawling by moving about on hands or hands and feet. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close visual acuity to perform activities such as: preparing and analyzing data or figures, transcribing, viewing a computer terminal, extensive reading, visual inspection involving small defects, and using measurement devices.
Need to be able to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Possess skills to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accomodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
PC Experience using MS Windows and Word, Databases, Spreadsheets, etc.